Nanzenji Temple (南禅寺)

 Nanzenji Temple is the headquarters of the Nanzenji School of the Rinzaisect of Zen Buddhism. The detached palace established by Emperor Kameyama for his mother, Omiyain, was converted int the temple in 1291. In1334, it became the first in the ranking system of the Kyoto Gozan (five great Zen temples in Kyoto). Later, Shogun Yoshimitsu Ashikaga ranked it the highest, even above the five temples.
The Hojo (main building, National Treasure) comprises Oo (Large)-hojo (Seiryo-den) and Ko (Small)-hojo, Many of the wall paintings in these halls are designated as Important Cultural Assets. Sho-hojo has a room named “Tora-no Ma (Room of Tigers)” with “Gunko Zu (Picture of Gathered Tigers, Important Cultural Asset),” reportedly drawn by Tanyu Kano. The garden in front of Oo-hojo is a representative rock and sand garden reportedly made by Enshu Kobori, the design of which is famous as Tora-no-ko-watashi (a mother tiger trying to let her cubs cross a river).
The huge, Zen-style Sanmon Gate (Important Cultural Asset) was donated by Takatora Todo. From its top, you can enjoy a fine view of Kyoto City. In the southeast of the precinct stands the beautiful Suirokaku; a tall raised waterway made of bricks that is part of the Biwako-sosui canal.

 臨済宗南禅寺派の大本山で、正しくは太平興国南禅南寺(たいへいこうこくなんぜんぜんじ)という。
亀山天皇が大宮院(亀山天皇の母)の御所として造営した離宮を、正応4年(1291)に、無関普門禅師(むかんふもん(大明国師(だいみんこくし)))を開山として寺に改められたものである。建武元年(1334)には、禅寺の格付け制度である五山の制の下で京都五山の第一位となり、更に足利義満によって五山の上(じょう)という最高位に位置付けられ、隆盛を極めた。
方丈(国宝)は大方丈(清涼殿)と小方丈から成り、内部の障壁画の多くは重要文化財に指定されている。小方丈には狩野探幽(かのうたんゆう)の筆といわれる「群虎図」(重要文化財)があり、「虎の間」と呼ばれている。また、大方丈の前庭は小堀遠州(こぼりえんしゅう)の作とされる代表的な枯山水庭園で、「虎の子渡し」として有名である。
禅宗様の巨大な三門(重要文化財)は藤堂高虎(とうどうたかとら)が寄進したもので、楼上からは京都市街が一望できる。
境内の南東には、琵琶湖疏水の流れる煉瓦造(れんがづくり)の水道橋「水路閣」が美しく佇んでいる。

コメント

タイトルとURLをコピーしました